Monument record BNH 004 - Mill House
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8677 7908 (50m by 51m)|
|Civil Parish||BARNHAM, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Round barrow at Mill House.
1957 : Partly excavated by A R Edwardson. 18.3 diameter and 1.8m high before excavation. 10 foot wide trench cut from N edge to centre found contracted female inhumation, accompanied by a pygmy cup, in grave cut into old land surface and covered by turf mound which in turn was capped by sand. No ditch was found but, if published section is accurate, this would have been outside excavation (S2)(S6). Also sketch plan of excavation on reverse of BSEMH map (S4).
1958 : Tumulus at crossroads, Barnham, investigated by A R Edwardson and found to contain female skeleton and incense cups (S5)(S6). 1962 : A turf-covered bowl barrow measuring 27m E-W and 24m N-S with a maximum height of 1.7m. It is in good condition apart from old excavation trenches around the centre. There is no visible ditch (S5). 23/1/1976 : Grassed and some saplings. Signs of disturbance on top. Mound height circa 1.52m, diameter circa 26.5m (S3).
6/10/1977 : Grass covered, diameter 26m, height 1.6m, no visible ditch. In good condition and now stands in the garden of a private house and is grazed by donkeys (S2).
25/6/1981 : Barrow rough grass and nettle covered - still grazed by donkeys. Post stable-shed construction in SE corner, this seems to have caused some erosion in corner of barrow (S2).
1986 : Under grass, dimensions as in 1977. Hollow in S side (? subsidiary trench of 1957 excavation). Shed described in 1981 remains, and is definitely cut into SE edge of mound (S2).
1991: Grassed out, kept mown (S8).
See also barrow BNH 005.
March 2018. 'Brecks from Above' and Breckland National Mapping Programme.
The earthworks of this scheduled round barrow are visible on aerial photographs (S9-S11) and lidar imagery (S12). The mound represents the only surviving part of a cluster of up to seven barrows forming a barrow cemetery overlooking the Little Ouse River and a minor tributary (BNH 120). This Bronze Age barrow cemetery appears to have become a focus for Saxon inhumations during the later 7th and early 8th centuries AD (BNH 100; S13).
The mound is sub circular, with a flattened northern side. Traces of the outer ditch survive to the north of the mound.
S. Horlock (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 10th March 2018.
- <M1> SSF46792 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, XLI, 42 (sketch); LIII, 64; LXIV, 26,27 (newspaper cutting EADT 17 Jul 1957); XCVIII, 9.
- <M2> SSF46793 (No record type): Barrow Survey archive:.
- <S2> SSF5230 (No record type): DOE scheduling information..
- <S3> SSF18022 (No record type): SAU (Martin E A), 1976.
- <M3> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volumes.
- <S4> SSF2544 (No record type): BSEMH, 6 inch record map (reverse), XXII NE, A R Edwardson entry, 1957.
- <M4> SSF46795 (No record type): BSEMH map archive: notes & microfilm.
- <S5> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL87NE11.
- <M5> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: copy (S4).
- <S6> SSF339 (No record type): Arch in Suffolk 1957, PSIA, 27, 1957, (3), 178.
- <S7> SSF5635 (No record type): Edwardson A R, A Bronze Age burial at Barnham, PSIA, 27, 1957, (3), 186- 190.
- <S8> SSF21757 (No record type): Suff Pres Soc (Paul Edwards) survey, table of result, 1991.
- <S9> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/CPE/UK/1921 RP 3163-3164 16-JAN-1947 (HEA Original Print).
- <S10> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/540/1733 V 0112-0113 01-NOV-1955 (HEA Original Print).
- <S11> SSF55747 LIDAR Airborne Survey: LIDAR airborne survey. LIDAR TL8679 Environment Agency 1m DTM 01-OCT-2014.
- <S13> SSF59343 Unpublished document: Morgan, S.. 2018. Anglian Water Bury PZ – Barnham Cross to Little Welnetham Treated Water Main. Post-Excavation Assessment Volume 1: Fieldwork. OAE report 1899.
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (6)
- Event - Intervention: Excavated by BSEMH (Edwardson A R) (Ref: BSEMH (Edwardson A R)) (ESF15955)
- Event - Interpretation: Map Sheets TL78NE/78SE/77NE/88NW/88SW/88SE/87NW/87NE, Mapping Block 2: 'Brecks from Above' Air Photo Mapping Project and Breckland NMP Project (ESF25814)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Coad V J) (Ref: DOE (Coad V J)) (ESF13336)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Healy F) (Ref: DOE (Healy F)) (ESF13899)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Paterson H) (Ref: DOE (Paterson H)) (ESF13697)
- Event - Survey: Survey by OS (Ref: OS) (ESF14656)
Record last edited
Apr 6 2022 3:39PM