Monument record BNH 022 - Probable Medieval moat, with adjacent fish pond.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8733 7950 (300m by 310m)|
|Civil Parish||BARNHAM, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Probable moat, with adjacent fish pond(S1)(R1). 'Surrounding area contains many amorphous earthworks. Some of these are due to quarrying, the rest possibly to village shrinkage and drainage. Small and isolated fragments of Med pottery are to be found over the whole area' (S1).
Near Little Ouse river, NE of village.
1995: Visit as part of Brecks Survey confirmed earthworks as being part of shrunken village area. Central area has clear indicators of property boundaries stretching back from `drain'. Several pieces of Med pottery collected from this spot. Alignment of this drain as continuation of Water Lane suggests this is actually a trackway not a drain (although partly waterlogged). Area of pasture immediately north of The Street has various earthworks, few regular, although a faint trackway may be present stretching from gate to middle of property on east. (This may be recent feature, however.) Distinctive moated site to east of sewage works; rectangular in shape and aligned NE/SW. No noticeable raised area on platform and no pottery from molehills. Probable fishpond to north of this, in much lower position (on floodplain of Little Ouse), distinctively banked on south and west. Raised area to immediate east of sewage works, with noticeable linear bank extending for approximately 8m in E-W direction. 1840 Tithe Map records this area as `Hall Meadow' (S2). Moat seen clearly on 1946 RAF APs (S3)(S4).
- --- SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 GJM 03-MAR-77.
- <R1> SSF12976 (No record type): OS, AP 76 129-354, 2 July 1976.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL87NE31.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: map of earthworks.
- <S2> SSF1154 Map: 1840. Barnham Tithe Map. Barnham Tithe Map: WSROB T99/1,2.
- <S3> SSF17401 (No record type): RAF AP 1946: 106G/UK 1589 5412, 6412 & 6414.
- <S4> SSF20812 (No record type): SAU, Sussams K, Brecks Survey, May 1995.
- <S5> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 15 2021 10:38AM