Monument record CUL 009 - Allsorts, Culford, (Mesolithic, Neolithic)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8200 7005 (101m by 100m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||CULFORD, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
1970? Tranchet axe, 14 cms long; platformed prismatic core (possibly Neolithic), 5.5 cms long; large blade core with facetted striking platform, 10.5 cms long; core 5 cms long and 2 blades, both 6 cms long. Examined by John Wymer, BSEMH (S1).
From garden of `Allsorts' (S2), which is in Culford parish, although (S1) & (S3).
Drawing of axe in parish file.
Formerly recorded as WSW 012 (now deleted). Also note Mesolithic scatter from `Southmead' to Sout East - CUL 015.
- --- SSF59353 Digital archive: Jacobi, R.. 2014. Palaeolithic and Mesolithic Lithic Artefact (PaMELA) database. 11670.
- <S1> SSF2586 Museum Record Card: Moyses Hall Museum, Bury St Edmunds.. 1977. BSEMH, card 1977-183. BSEMH, card 1977-183, 1977.
- <S2> SSF23378 Bibliographic reference: Wymer, J.J. & Bonsall, C.J.. 1977. Gazetteer of Mesolithic sites in England and Wales, CBA Research Report 20. 266.
- <S3> SSF23397 Source Unchecked: Wymer, J.J.. 1976. Unknown Source.. Wymer J J, circa 1976.
- <S4> SSF20912 Finds Illustration: West Dr S E. 1970. Record & Drawing. SAU, West S E, record & drawing, September 1970.
- <S4> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S4).
- <S5> SSF59354 Bibliographic reference: Billington, L, P.. 2016. Lithic Scatters and Landscape Occupation in the Late Upper Palaeolithic and Mesolithic: A Case Study from Eastern England.. M 955, M1211.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Aug 4 2020 1:50PM