Monument record EUN 006 - St Andrew's Church, Little Fakenham (site of); Park House
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 90988 77150 (69m by 113m)|
|Civil Parish||EUSTON, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
St Andrew's Church, Little Fakenham (Fakenham Parva), site of.
TL 9096 7713: Site of church, 'indications in dry weather' (S1).
Village story says that in 1860s, when gravel was being taken from a pit on the site of Little Fakenham many human bones were found and the gravel digging was stopped (S2).
TL 9101 7720: Disturbed human bones were found in a tree planting hole in February 1990, in the garden of Park House. Bones were only 20-30cm deep and were definitely not articulated. Remains re-interred (S3).
A church was in existence by 1254 (Norwich Taxation). Two churches are listed in Fakenham Parva in 1086. In 1668 it was said that the parish had neither church nor chapel and only one family, who attended Euston Church; parishes of Euston and Little Fakenham united in 1669 and finally consolidated in 1739 (S4). In 1764 no remains of the church were said to be surviving (S5). Area of church and village incorporated into Euston Park.
Circa 1987: Farmer reported to have abandoned efforts to inject nitrogen(?) into soil as 'tines of equipment kept striking obstacles under the surface' (S6). For deserted village, see EUN 021 (sf15692).
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. TL97NW4 (infor from Basil Brown).
- <R1> SSF50040 Bibliographic reference: Barker, H. R.. 1907. West Suffolk Illustrated. 135.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Field Report Form; also see Little Pakenham for (S6).
- <S2> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Vol X, 13 (newspaper cutting Bury Free Press 24 Aug 1956); Vol XCVI, 24.
- <M2> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Volumes.
- <S3> SSF50006 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Site Report. Martin E, 1990 - see Parish File.
- <S4> SSF50037 Bibliographic reference: Copinger W A. Manors of Suffolk. Copinger W A, Vol I.
- <S5> SSF50038 Bibliographic reference: Kirby, J.. 1764. Suffolk Traveller. Kirby J (edit of 1764).
- <S6> SSF50039 Unpublished document: Letter. Davison A, to SAU (Carr R D), Dec 1987.
- <S7> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Apr 6 2021 3:04PM