Monument record SEN 001 - Two moated sites adjoining All Saints Church (Med)

Please read our .

Summary

Moated site, rectangular, 80m long x 50m wide, adjoining the SW corner of All Saints churchyard. Scheduled

Location

Grid reference Centred TM 3290 8277 (92m by 99m) (Centred on)
Map sheet TM38SW
Civil Parish ALL SAINTS AND ST NICHOLAS, SOUTH ELMHAM, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

Moated site, rectangular, 80m long x 50m wide, adjoining the SW corner of All Saints churchyard. The site is now levelled and ploughed (since at least 1975); the moat is mapped on the 1:10560 OS map which also shows an internal pond, now gone. The moat is shown as unoccupied on the 1841 Tithe Map. Fieldwalking of the interior area has produced C13-C17 pottery and oyster shells (S1). Area shown hatched on map.
Air photographs show site levelled, 1971 (S3).
January 1998: Scheduled together with SEN 002 (S4) although mapped definition different to HER. Thought to be former site of rectory (S4).
See also IA, PMed.

Sources/Archives (6)

  • <M1> Scheduling record: English Heritage. Scheduled Ancient Monument file. (S4).
  • <M1> Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: NAU ADX 57 (1975); SAU AGR 10 (1977); CUCAP BEQ 52, 54 (1971).
  • <S1> (No record type): Hardy M J, 1985.
  • <S2> Bibliographic reference: 1911. VCH Suffolk 1. 616.
  • <S3> Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, APs BEQ 52, 54, 1971.
  • <S4> Scheduling record: English Heritage. Scheduled Ancient Monument file. English Hertage Scheduling information.

Finds (1)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Oct 9 2007 3:29PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.