Monument record SEN 008 - St Nicholas' Church (site of)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
Summary
Location
Grid reference | Centred TM 3223 8287 (50m by 50m) |
---|---|
Map sheet | TM38SW |
Civil Parish | ALL SAINTS AND ST NICHOLAS, SOUTH ELMHAM, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK |
Map
Type and Period (2)
Full Description
St Nicholas' Church (site of). Listed in the Norwich Taxation of 1254; mentioned in the Taxatio Ecclesiastica of Pope Nicholas, circa 1291, as being in Sandcroft (see S Elmham St Cross 009); mentioned in the Valor Ecclesiasticus of Henry VIII (S1).
The living was temporarily united with S Elmham St Margaret in 1362; the living was joined with S Elmham All Saints in 1557 and the two parishes were finally consolidated in 1737 (S2).
The church is said to have gone into decay about 1620 (S3). A small portion of one wall stood in 1844 (S4).
'St Nicholas Church Yard' is marked on Hodskinson's Map 1783, where it is shown on the N side of St Nicholas Green. The site of the church is marked by a cross erected 1844 - 1885. The site is now apparently largely built over (S5).
1992: A documentary evaluation was undertaken of this site and the adajcent moated site (SEN 004). It was noted that a 19th century cross is sited on the site of St Nicholas' Church. The church appears to have been in use until the mid 16th century at least. Records indicated that in 1620/20 the church had fallen into decay and by 1764 very little of the structure remained. In 1928 the site was visited by a C Morley who commented the stone cross on the site was located within the churchyard and that a local had unearthed human remains during drainage works on the site. The report conlcuded that the church is likely situated under and to the east of the stone cross assuming the cross had not been moved and there are almost certainly burials present due to the field being named Church Meadow on the Tithe Map and the previous finds of human remains. The church and moated site have a notable association and the relationship likely goes bac to the initial constrcution of the moat and church. (S6).
March 1998: Scheduled (along with SEN 004). Details in (S7).
Some of the windows in Early English style, said to now be arranged ornamentally in garden of the Old Rectory, All Saints - according to (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) (S8).
Sources/Archives (10)
- <S1> SSF12147 (No record type): Notes by SAU (Martin E) 1981.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish Files. Parish file: (S6).
- <S2> SSF21705 (No record type): Suckling A, History and Antiquities of Suffolk, 1846, 1, 227 229.
- <M2> SSF50016 Scheduling record: English Heritage. Scheduled Ancient Monument. (S7).
- <S3> SSF50188 Bibliographic reference: Barker H R. 1911. East Suffolk Illustrated. 150.
- <S4> SSF3293 Bibliographic reference: Cautley H M. 1975. Suffolk Churches. Cautley H M, Suffolk Churches, 1982, 5th edition,433.
- <S5> SSF7257 (No record type): Hardy M J, 1985.
- <S6> SSF19545 Unpublished document: Newman, J.. 1992. Documentary Evaluation - Planning Application W15474, The Moat, St Nicholas, South Elmham. SAU, Newman J, documentary evaluation, July 1992.
- <S7> SSF50016 Scheduling record: English Heritage. Scheduled Ancient Monument. English Heritage Scheduling information.
- <S8> SSF50006 (No record type): Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Site Report. Warne R (01986 782386), September 1998.
Finds (1)
- FSF24529: ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Undated)
Protected Status/Designation
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 22 2025 3:57PM