Monument record WSF 001 - Cottage Field (BA)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 021 745 (303m by 183m)|
|Civil Parish||RICKINGHALL INFERIOR, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||WATTISFIELD, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Multi period site situated on parish boundary Wattisfield/Rickinghall Inferior with most of Cottage Field in Rickinghall. Neo flints turned up by plough by J W Blake, who found black patches containing Beaker pottery sherds, including some handles, worked flints, barbed and tanged arrowheads, burnt stones and animal bones. Excavation trench across alleged shaft at TM 0220 7459 by Smedley, Jarvis and Basil Brown revealed area of dark silt containing much charcoal and flints beneath topsoil. The amount of charcoal and flints lessened as the excavation deepened but some carinated sherds were found at 9 feet depth and the shaft was dug to a depth of 11 feet. Boring continued and proved that the filling finally gave way to natural sand at 19 feet (S1,S2,S3,S4,S5).
Basil Brown remarks that this site is very close to the Beaker shaft in Calke Wood - RKN 011 - and may have some connection.
Four BA sherds at SAU in store - three rusticated wares and one showing infilled panel decoration.
For more information on pottery beakers, see (S6).
also Neo and IA finds.
- <R1> SSF17654 (No record type): Robertson-Mackay R, 1961.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volumes, card index, map.
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, IV,139,173,174,178-180; XXXVIII,120; LIV,7,8; LXXI,127; LXXII,43-52; XC, 112; card index 41.
- <S2> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 956-125.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: maps showing find sites in area (J W Blake/B Brown).
- <S3> SSF20926 (No record type): SAU, West S E, SMR card.
- <S4> SSF9902 (No record type): IPSMG, site plans, M108.
- <S5> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 27, 1956, (2), 117.
- <S6> SSF6838 (No record type): Gibson A M, Beaker Domestic Sites, BAR 107(i) 1982, 254-5.
- FSF17434: POTTERY BEAKER (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF17435: BARBED AND TANGED ARROWHEAD (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF17436: POTTERY (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF17437: WORKED OBJECT (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF17438: ANIMAL REMAINS (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 17 1995 12:00AM