Monument record WNG 006 - Extensive spread of Roman pottery
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7543 8371 (387m by 346m) Centred on|
|Civil Parish||WANGFORD, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Extensive spread (circa 9 hectares) of pottery etc., N & S of Lakenheath - Wangford road (S1). Dark patch to NE within area (recorded as WNG 001) partially excavated (S2). Finds include complete Antonine Samian bowl (R2). "Near Wangford is a regular sandy track where many bones of men and animals, fragments of Roman pottery, broken querns, pieces of metal, coins and other relics have been frequently found" (S3)(R3). Probably refers to this site or to BRD 057.
"Many Roman finds have been made in an area of about two acres, quarter of a mile from Wangford". Includes Rom pottery, C3 and C4 coins, "human and animal bones, beads and 'copper' horse trappings. An iron knife and spearhead strongly resemble Anglo Saxon types". In possession of (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s), and some pottery is in Thetford Museum (S4)(R4)(R5). This probably relates to this site or to BRD 057.
- <R1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL78SE4.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: copy (S1).
- <R2> SSF15600 (No record type): PCAS, 32, 1932, 61, plate 3.
- <S2> SSF15625 (No record type): PCAS, 51, 1958, 19-29.
- <R3> SSF23101 (No record type): White's "Suffolk", 1874, 397.
- <S3> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, XCVIII, 95.
- <R4> SSF342 (No record type): Arch J, 10, 1853, 353-356.
- <S4> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL78SE1.
- <R5> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 24, 1948, (3), 180.
- FSF3210: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF3211: POTTERY SAMIAN (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF3212: COIN (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF3213: POTTERY NENE VALLEY (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF3214: ANIMAL REMAINS (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF3215: (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF3216: QUERN (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF3217: QUERN (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF3218: QUERN (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF3219: QUERN (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF3220: COIN (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF3221: HUMAN REMAINS (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 16 2022 6:32PM