Monument record ERL 023 - Caudle Head, Sewage Works, Lakenheath Airfield
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7291 8075 (239m by 151m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||ERISWELL, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
1948: Burials: skeletons in wooden coffins. Pottery. Found in sewage works for USAF airfield. (S1, S9).
August 1988: Westernmost set of settling tanks demolished & bulldozed by USAF. Scatter of greyware, colour coat and bones (not known whether animal or human) seen in spread soil. Also pottery seen on rest of sewage works site in mole hills etc (S2). See also ERL 024. (? Related settlement ERL 009 - LKH 030-032.)
March 1991: Roman grey ware sherds, circa 17 and 2 C4 coins nearby, found on sandy surface on sewage works site (S3).
1992: Excavation of small area - details in (S4,S5). Including small lithic assemblage
Human humerus Radiocarbon dated to 240-400AD (95.4% probability)(S6).
- --- SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: map, note, (S5).
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL78SW28.
- <S2> SSF15483 Cartographic materials: Palmer D. 1989. Map, Lakenheath, Eriswell. Palmer D, August 1989, map.
- <S3> SSF23054 Personal Correspondence: West T. 1991. Unknown. West T, March 1991.
- <S4> SSF22071 Unpublished document: Andrew Tester. 1993. RAF Lakenheath sewage works settling tank replacement system: Archaeological excavation report. Tester A, SAU, Excavation Report, SCCAS Report 93/49, 1992.
- <S5> SSF19203 Excavation archive: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. 1992. ERL 023, RAF Lakenheath sewage works settling tank replacement system:. SAU, excavation archive index.
- <S6> SSF50272 Unpublished document: Radiocarbon date report. Scottish Universities Environ Res Centre, SUERC-34268 (GU-23939).
- <S7> SSF55355 Article in serial: Martin, E.A., Pendleton, C. & Plouviez, J.. 1993. Archaeology in Suffolk 1992. XXXVIII (1).
- <S8> SSF55357 Article in serial: Martin, E.A., Pendleton, C. & Plouviez, J.. 1995. Archaeology in Suffolk 1994. XXXVIII (3).
- <S9> SSF1476 Article in serial: Briscoe, G. 1951. Note. Briscoe G, PCAS, 45, 1951, 66 (note only).
- FSF13932: COFFIN (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF13933: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF13934: COIN (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF35725: FLAKE (Star Carr Type Mesolithic to Late Iron Age - 9000 BC? to 42 AD?)
- FSF35726: POTTERY (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF35727: POTTERY (Saxon - 410 AD to 1065 AD)
- FSF35728: ANIMAL REMAINS (Early Iron Age to Late Saxon - 800 BC to 1065 AD)
- FSF35729: BROOCH (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF50124: BLADE (Star Carr Type Mesolithic to Late Iron Age - 9000 BC? to 42 AD?)
- FSF50125: CORE (Star Carr Type Mesolithic to Late Iron Age - 9000 BC? to 42 AD?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jan 23 2020 11:59AM