Monument record ERL 032 - Eriswell High Warren
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 779 798 (221m by 301m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||ERISWELL, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Scatter: pottery and building debris (S1). Surface finds over circa 100m square. Trenched in 1953 across area of dark soil and maximum finds. Layer circa one and half to two feet thick of black occupation between sandy topsoil and solid chalk. Much painted plaster, especially at N end of trench.
Coins (Hadrian, Tetricus I), pottery (samian, Nene Valley, shell gritted), bronze bracelet, bone pin. Tile including box; daub; op sig (S2,S4). Excavation notes in G Briscoe archive ? Mapped site just crosses parish boundary into Lakenheath.
Card index in Cambridge University Museum records pottery (Accession no. Z 21948) from Eriswell villa site on Lakenheath Warren, quoting ? incorrect grid reference of TL 770 779 (S3). Presumably relates to Briscoes excavations.
From NHRE Record:
TL 780798. In 1953 a gamekeeper reported a scatter of Romano-British sherds (including Samian) had been brought up in rabbit scrapes on an unploughed portion of the warren over an area of about 4-5 acres. Also found were a sestertius of Hadrian, pieces of glass, tile and oyster shells.
A trial trench across part of the area revealed painted wall plaster, bronze coin of ? Tetricus, bronze bracelet, burnt stones, tiles and nails from a black occupation layer. (S5)
No evidence of a Roman building was found on field perambulation or on inspection of OS air photographs (a). The area lies on natural sandy heathland under rough grass and scrub. No trace of the trial excavation made by G Briscoe (now deceased) was seen but a small piece of Roman brick was found together with one sherd of Romano British pottery at TL 870797. According to authority 1, the finds are in Mildenhall Museum.
The gamekeeper, believed to have made the original finds, is now dead and no further information was obtained from the present keepers. (S6)
- --- SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: stolen Autumn 1981.
- --- SSF7652 Article in serial: Hughes, T. M.. General index to vols 9-24 (1895-1922); 26-62 (1923-69).
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL77NE1.
- <S2> SSF1542 Article in serial: M. D. Cra'ster, Grace Briscoe, C. F. Tebbutt and D. F. Renn. 1962. Archaeological Notes..
- <S3> SSF3073 Museum Record Card: Cambridge University Museum of Archaeology & Anthropology. Z 21948. Cambridge University Museum, card index, Suffolk, Z 21948.
- <S4> SSF50231 Unpublished document: Lady Grace Briscoe. Grace Briscoe archive.
- <S6> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 PAS 09-SEP-77.
- <S7> SSF59825 Bibliographic reference: Scott, E. 1993. A gazetteer of Roman villas in Britain.
- <S8> SSF59928 Oblique Aerial Photograph: Ordnance Survey. APs (OS 76/129/339-40).
- FSF31700: WALL COVERING (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF33234: WALL PAINTING (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF52287: NAIL (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF7591: POTTERY SAMIAN (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF7592: POTTERY NENE VALLEY (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF7593: BRICK (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF7594: COIN (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF7595: BRACELET (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF7596: PIN (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF7597: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF7598: DRINKING VESSEL (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF7599: FLUE TILE (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jan 20 2021 3:39PM