Monument record ERL 036 - Bronze Age Round Barrow, Upper Chamberlain's Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7466 7692 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||ERISWELL, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
Barrow, 65.5 ft x 61 ft x 1 ft high with surrounding ditch.
1965-6: excavated by David Dymond. Primary cremation with collared urn and ? bier burnt above it (S1). Contracted inhumation (relationship to mound unclear). Two secondary cremations (S2)(S3)(S4).
For details of beaker pottery see (S5).
Neolithic flints and pottery in layer below BA barrow and small shallow 'features' (S2)(S3)(S4).
Also sherds of Roman and Medieval pottery were found during the excavation (S2).
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: card index.
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, card index 113 with newspaper cutting - EADT 7.1.1966.
- <S2> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 33, 1973, (1), 1-18.
- <S3> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL77NW51.
- <S4> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card Eriswell Neolithic.
- <S5> SSF6855 (No record type): Gibson A M, Beaker Domestic sites, BAR 107, 1982, p 150.
- <S6> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- FSF16099: POTTERY COLLARED URN (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF16100: POTTERY BEAKER (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF1932: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF1933: POTTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- FSF3145: SCRAPER (TOOL) (Neolithic - 4000 BC? to 2351 BC?)
- FSF3146: POTTERY (Neolithic - 4000 BC? to 2351 BC?)
- FSF52446: CORE (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Nov 2 2021 1:53PM