Poorly Located Find Spot record WNG 090 - Wangford, General (Mesolithic)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||TL 76 82 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||LAKENHEATH, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||WANGFORD, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Pre 1977: Unprovenanced Mesolithic flint artefacts from Wangford Parish.
Artefacts include circa 2000 blades/flakes; circa 130 cores; 89 scrapers; 407 microliths; 1 tranchet and 2 other axes and 8 micro-burins (S1).
References and locations given in (S1). Many of the finds may actually come from Lakenheath Parish and conversely many Lakenheath artefacts may come from Wangford Parish, as both names have been used loosely for a general spread which extends over both parishes.
1920s: Four blades, one scraper, four microliths. Wymer Collection, (S3)
Note main Mesolithic scatters WNG 002, 004, 007, 017, 018, 019 and general proliferation of worked Mesolithic flint in vicinity
Formerly recorded as WNG MISC
- <S1> SSF23378 Bibliographic reference: Wymer, J.J. & Bonsall, C.J.. 1977. Gazetteer of Mesolithic sites in England and Wales, CBA Research Report 20. 265-266.
- <S2> SSF59353 Digital archive: Jacobi, R.. 2014. Palaeolithic and Mesolithic Lithic Artefact (PaMELA) database. 11630.
- <S3> SSF59661 Finds Report: Wymer J J,. 1988. Wangford, Mesolithic Material in Possession of J. J. Wymer, April 1988.
- FSF2052: MICROLITH (Mesolithic - 9000 BC? to 4000 BC?)
- FSF2053: BLADE (Mesolithic - 9000 BC? to 4000 BC?)
- FSF2054: TRANCHET AXEHEAD (Early Mesolithic - 9000 BC? to 8000 BC?)
- FSF2055: MICROBURIN (Mesolithic - 9000 BC? to 4000 BC?)
- FSF51302: FLAKED AXEHEAD (Mesolithic - 9000 BC to 4000 BC)
- FSF51303: SCRAPER (TOOL) (Mesolithic - 9000 BC to 4000 BC)
- FSF51304: CORE (Mesolithic - 9000 BC to 4000 BC)
- FSF51305: FLAKE (Mesolithic - 9000 BC to 4000 BC)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jun 26 2020 3:53PM