Monument record BAD 003 - Medieval Chantry Chapel.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 06102 55797 (65m by 71m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BADLEY, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Site of chantry marked on Ordnance Survey maps. The supposed site is now largely occupied by a large timber-framed barn (C15-C16) partly on a massive flint foundation with limestone quoins (S1).
The chantry was founded by Edmund Rafeman alias Alcoke of Badley Hall in 1491-1492, to run for a period of 50 years after his death (S2). The will setting up the chantry states that this was to be in a parish church, which makes a separate chantry chapel unlikely, especially as the church was virtually a manorial chapel (it was a donative with the lord of the manor as patron and impropriator of tithes). The will does however mention a newly built 'Prestes House' at Badley. Chantry said to have been dissolved 1546 (S3).
1981: Grid reference TM 062 558: Scheduled area under rough pasture, cut by a tree fringed stream. Whole area of Hall very derelict and run down. Two parallel earthworks 14m wide noted running E-W to N of church. Would seem likely site for deserted village. Owner says is the remains of the original carriageway to the Hall (S5).
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file : Extract from E Alcoke's will.
- <S1> SSF99 (No record type): Aitkens P, 1985.
- <S2> SSF23208 (No record type): Will, Norwich Consistory Court, 1492.
- <M2> SSF37420 (No record type): SAM file :.
- <S3> SSF11493 (No record type): Morley C, Check list of Suffolk Buildings, PSIA, 19, 1926, (2), 171.
- <S4> SSF10299 (No record type): Kirby, J.. Kirby J, Suffolk Traveller, 1764, 200.
- <S5> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <S6> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM05NE12, 1966.
- <S7> SSF50026 Map: OS. OS Map. OS 6" NSL.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Apr 13 2021 10:58AM