Monument record HNY 005 - Hinderclay Wood
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0218 7559 (90m by 83m)|
|Civil Parish||HINDERCLAY, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Rom kiln site at SE corner of Hinderclay Wood, a game preserve, but in the past the site of clay pit works. Found and excavated in 1945 and relocated in 1962 by Basil Brown and J B Watson. Thought to be site of at least two kilns apparently circular updraught. Areas of red baked clay thought to be kiln floors, a trench nearby full of black earth and many pottery sherds. Pottery, which included one piece of shell gritted ware and samian is C4. Other finds included curved pieces of kiln wall with straw impressions and thinner clay plates, also with straw imprint, thought to be from kiln roof. Spindle whorl, sherd of pottery strainer with holes, and hone stone also found (S1) (S2). Not registered at Ipswich Museum until 1959.
Thin scatter of metalwork found (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) while metal detecting - coins (Valentinian - Magnus Maximus), Colchester derivative (double pierced lug) type brooch fragment (S3).
Further material to NE - see HNY 017.
1973: Hinderclay Wood has been cleared of trees and ploughed. There is no trace of pottery kilns and none were discovered during tree clearance. (S5)
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, I 25; IV 84, VIII 22; LXXXIX 23-27; XCIII 12 18 146-147; XCVI 9 27; XCVII 5 22; card index .
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive : volumes, card index, map.
- <S2> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 959-405, 1959.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: finds report, drawing, map.
- <S3> SSF21334 (No record type): Smith A, 1988.
- <S4> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <S5> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 NKB 12-DEC-73.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Apr 21 2021 11:09AM