Monument record HNY 011 - Walnut Tree Farm - Fields 240, 241 (Rom)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 018 774 (207m by 213m)|
|Civil Parish||HINDERCLAY, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
On fields 240 (Lost Field) and 241 during land drainage operations, Basil Brown found indications of a Roman settlement, October/November 1957. The site lies towards Walnut Tree Farm on the southern edge of these fields and much black earth was in evidence. A ditch 3 feet deep by 4 feet 6 inches wide was excavated; black earth, grey ash, pottery, bones oyster shells etc. Nearby, the remains of a wall and a hearth were found together with pottery sherds, including one of Samian, mostly of C1 AD. Further draining in November 1958 produced more pottery. At a later date, Basil Brown visited the fields after deep ploughing and commented that a good deal of calcined flint could be seen on the east near the road and a few Med sherds found in this area (S1,S2,S3).
Thin scatter of finds including a "wheel" type brooch from (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s), pottery sherds and coins (C2 and 307-318), found mainly in S part of area (S4).
Also Sax & Med.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volumes, card index, map.
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, XII, 13-15; LXXXIX, 44; XCVII, 48; card index 171; map 21.
- <S2> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 957-150.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: finds report, map.
- <S3> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 27, (3), 1958, 181.
- <S4> SSF21338 (No record type): Smith A, 1990.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 19 2016 2:33PM