Monument record TYN 011 - A ditched field system, small square enclosure and possible crofts of possible medieval date are visible as cropmarks on aerial photographs, across C…
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 270 388 (610m by 674m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||TRIMLEY ST MARTIN, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Complex field system adjacent to the five ring ditches, TYN 037-041, and rectangular enclosure, TYN 042. Comprising several lengths of trackways and numerous stretches of field boundary (S1).
A ditched field system, small square enclosure and possible crofts of possible medieval date are visible as cropmarks on aerial photographs, across Croft Lane from Innocence Cottage in Trimley St Martin parish at circa TM27023905. The field system and possible crofts are aligned at roughly 90 degrees to Croft Lane, indicating a relationship with the road and therefore a probable medieval date of origin. Later post-medieval boundaries, recorded on the first edition Ordnance Survey map of circa 1884 can be seen as cropmarks crossing this field system (S3). This have not been plotted. The small square enclosure is circa 20 metres wide and is located across the line a field boundary ditch, potentially predating the field system. It may be associated with the probably prehistoric trapezoidal enclosure TYN 042. The 5 ring ditches TYN 037-041probably predate the field system, although the ditch of the largest ring-ditch (TYN 037) may have survived as an earthwork and been incorporated into the ditched boundary. The majority of the cropmarks to the south of the field system appear to relate to post-medieval field systems or are probably geological in origin. (S4-S6).
- <S1> SSF18711 (No record type): SAU, APs ACX 16,18,19; ADI 01-03,05; AFZ 06-07,13,18; AGK 16; ALM 03; ACQ 21.
- <M1> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. APs: SAU ACX 16,18,19; ADI 01-03,05; AFZ 06-07,13,18; AGK 16; ALM 03; ACQ 21.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM23NE30.
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition. Circa 1884.
- <S4> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2738/12 (SFU 11552/17) 23-JUN-1976.
- <S5> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2738/6 (SFU 11560/FZ/18) ??-JUL-1977.
- <S6> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2738/9 (RHF 11489/167/2) 15-JUL-1977.
- <S7> SSF58519 Unpublished document: Martin, E.. 1976. Prehistoric Crop-Mark Sites in Suffolk.
- <S8> SSF58525 Unpublished document: Martin, E. A. and Plouviez, J.. 1978. Prehistoric and Roman Cropmark Sites in Suffolk.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 10 2020 1:06PM