Monument record TYN 014 - A possible Later Prehistoric or Roman enclosure and a number of ring ditches in Trimley St Martin parish
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 260 373 (653m by 545m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||TRIMLEY ST MARTIN, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (8)
- SQUARE ENCLOSURE (Early Bronze Age to Roman - 2350 BC? to 409 AD?)
- RING DITCH (Unknown date)
- LINEAR FEATURE (Unknown date)
- HUT CIRCLE? (Early Bronze Age to Roman - 2350 BC? to 409 AD?)
- ROUND BARROW? (Bronze Age - 2350 BC? to 701 BC?)
- SETTLEMENT? (Undated)
- HOUSE? (Early Bronze Age to Roman - 2350 BC to 409 AD)
- ROUND HOUSE (DOMESTIC) (Early Bronze Age to Roman - 2350 BC to 409 AD)
Complex field system including a number of overlapping ditch boundaries. Also two rectilinear 'fields' with S boundaries missing, and E of these two large 'L' shaped field boundaries (S1-S4 & S7).
A possible Later Prehistoric or Roman square enclosure and a number of ring ditches and linear features are visible as cropmarks on aerial photographs, centred on TM 26053742 in Trimley St Martin parish. The square enclosure is centred on TM 26073746 and measures roughly 57m by 57m. The enclosure appears to be double-ditched on its southern side and its relationship with a number of linear ditched features suggests that it may be part of a wider field system. 25m to the west of the enclosure a narrow ring ditch is visible, centred on TM 26013744. The ring ditch encloses an area roughly 11m in diameter and may be a hut circle or possibly a small barrow of Later Prehistoric or Roman date. To the south of the ring ditch and enclosure another group of features is visible, including the partial cropmark of a rectilinear ditched enclosure and the partial cropmarks of two ring ditches. The ring ditches, located at TM 26043736 and TM 26033732, both enclose an area approximately 16m in diameter. The ring ditches both overlap with the possible rectilinear enclosure suggesting the features are not contemporary. The ring ditches may be the remains of Bronze Age round barrows. The corner of another possible rectilinear enclosure is visible at TM 25943745. (S2-S7)
- <S1> SSF18440 (No record type): SAU, AP AFZ 05.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: SAU AFZ 05; CUCAP BNL 52,53,54.
- <S2> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP (BNL 52) 22-JUN-1973.
- <S3> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP (BNL 53) 22-JUN-1973.
- <S4> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP (BNL 54) 22-JUN-1973.
- <S5> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2537/2 (SF1671/233) 06-AUG-1979.
- <S6> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2537/2 (SF1671/234) 06-AUG-1979.
- <S7> SSF54702 Unpublished document: Palmer, R.. 1998. Aerial Photographic Assessment report, Inter-Tidal Habitat, Trimley Marshes, Suffolk.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Sep 15 2012 4:06PM