Monument record TAT 002 - Tattingstone Hall (Med)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 141 373 (170m by 236m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||TATTINGSTONE, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Rectangular moat with outer yard and fish pond. Occupied by Tattingstone Hall before demolition and flooding for the Alton reservoir. The Hall (see PMed) dated to C16-C19. The moat island had been raised and levelled with crag sands before construction work, and a single Med potsherd (?C13-C14) from below the crag suggests the moat may be medieval, there was, however, no signs of a pre C16 building within the limited area of the excavation (S1).
- <S1> SSF19143 (No record type): SAU, Carr R D, Tattingstone Moated Site, Interim Report, circa 1979.
- <M1> SSF38389 (No record type): Photographs: AHM 17-24, AJV 8-12; APs: AJA 05, ALC 05.
- <S2> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 34, 1980, (4), 296.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: various archive notes, photos, plans etc..
- <M3> SSF38391 (No record type): Excavation archive:.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Sep 10 2009 5:07PM