Monument record STU 001 - Stutton Shore, (Palaeolithic)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 140 330 (927m by 197m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||STUTTON, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Brickearth exposure on a low cliff edge, producing Pleistocene fauna and paleoliths.
Late 19th century: Occasional discoveries over a long period eroding from cliffs:
1883: John Evans recorded a flake he found at foot of cliff in 1883
1942: Excavation by HEP Spencer. Finds of animal bones include vole molars and incisor, mammoth, straight tusked elephant, rhinoceros, horse, bos/bison, red deer, giant deer, lion , bear, birds, pig and fox (S2) and freshwater shells are also listed flakes, two hand-axes, two levallois cores, fauna (S1-S2).
Also Terminal Palaeolithic bruised blade, (S7)
Part of SSSI.
See also Neolithic record.
No further details found in Ipswich Museum Accession registers September 2020.
- --- SSF59354 Bibliographic reference: Billington, L, P.. 2016. Lithic Scatters and Landscape Occupation in the Late Upper Palaeolithic and Mesolithic: A Case Study from Eastern England.. P 226.
- <S1> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 1944-49; 1947-157; 1949-121; 1951-1; 1920-77; 956-94; 962- 76.1.
- <S2> SSF50084 Bibliographic reference: Wymer, J.J.. 1985. Palaeolithic Sites of East Anglia. 210.
- <S3> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. Victoria County History, Suffolk (VCH). 261.
- <S4> SSF6117 Bibliographic reference: Evans, J.. 1897. The Ancient Stone implements, weapons and ornaments of Great Britain.
- <S5> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM13SE15.
- <S6> SSF59351 Digital archive: Wymer, J.J.. 1999. The Lower Palaeolithic Occupation of Britain (TERPs) The Lower Palaeolithic Occupation of Britain (TERPS). 22824.
- <S7> SSF59353 Digital archive: Jacobi, R.. 2014. Palaeolithic and Mesolithic Lithic Artefact (PaMELA) database. 331.
- FSF2128: BRUISED BLADE (Terminal Palaeolithic (Ahrensburgian, Long Blade) - 9700 BC to 9400 BC)
- FSF2129: HANDAXE (MIS13 to Early Middle Palaeolithic - 531000 BC to 178000 BC)
- FSF2130: LEVALLOIS CORE (Early Middle Palaeolithic - 323000 BC? to 178000 BC?)
- FSF2131: CLEAVER (Acheulean - 531000 BC? to 298000 BC?)
- FSF2132: MOLLUSCA REMAINS (Pleistocene General - 2578000 BC to 9700 BC)
- FSF2133: ANIMAL REMAINS (Pleistocene General - 2578000 BC to 9700 BC)
- FSF52222: FLAKE (Palaeolithic - 1000000 BC to 9400 BC)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Interpretation: Enhancement of the Suffolk HER for the Palaeolithic & Mesolithic Periods (ESF26899)
- Event - Intervention: Unknown Event(s)? Stutton Shore (Ref: 18th/19th Centuries) (ESF27938)
- Event - Intervention: Unknown Event(s)? Stutton Shore (Ref: Evans) (ESF27939)
- Event - Intervention: Unknown Event(s)? Stutton Shore (Ref: HEP Spener) (ESF27940)
Record last edited
Nov 12 2020 5:28PM