Monument record HSK 004 - Old Rectory
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2517 4993 (82m by 91m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||HASKETON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Moat, rhomboid, occupied (S1). Marked and ditches drawn on OS 1:10560 provisional edition and OS 1:10000, 1972.
1994 Scheduling information: Located 450m from St Andrews Church, the moat consists of sub-rectangular central island, 65m N-S by 48m E-W, surrounded by a moat approximately 2m deep and from 6-9m wide. A wide central causeway across the W arm of the moat gives access to interior. Another causeway, probably not original, existed across E arm of moat, and that part to the N survives as a "buried feature". Rest of moat is water-filled by surface drainage. On the S edge the moat has been terraced so that the outer bank of the S arm is more than 1m higher than the surface of the interior. In the Court Rolls between 1467 and 1606 there are a number of references to the rectory manor and the rector and holder of the manor in 1542 is recorded as Thomas Tomson.
House on N side of central platform is C19 and Listed Grade II. This moated site survives well as an example of one which combines the functions of rectory and manor (S2).
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 9 2007 2:37PM