Monument record WTM 009 - Beans Lane "Southmore"
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0885 7721 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||WORTHAM, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Rom road and ditches running N-S along Beans Lane, found during pipe laying in 1955. Basil Brown reported a cambered road 30 feet (total) made of packed flints above a chalk/clay mixture, with a ditch either side, which intersects with W- E ditch running across Croft Meadow, WTM 008. No finds reported (S1- S4).
Basil Brown refers to this area as Southmore as the ancient village of this name was located here - see WTM 008.
Grid reference in PSIA (TM 091 785)(S4) is incorrect as all other relevant data confirms TM 0885 7723.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volumes, map.
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, V, 100,102,103; XLIV, 3; map 32.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM07NE23.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: site plan (B Brown).
- <S3> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card.
- <S4> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 27, 1956, (2), 118.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 4 2013 12:17PM