Monument record WTM 010 - Field E of Beans Lane (IA)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0900 7723 (50m by 50m) Centred on|
|Civil Parish||WORTHAM, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
IA occupation site found on field E of Beans Lane during pipeline trenching in 1955. Two 'hut sites' were revealed, one definitely IA and the other, with hearth, described by Basil Brown as 'possibly Saxon". Ditches in area contained black earth, burnt stones, flints including a slug type flint, and pottery sherds. The pottery is described as brownish black and some has finger tipping ornamentation (S1,S2,S3,S4)(R1).
A grid reference (TM 093 785) is given on OS and IPSMG cards and in PSIA, but all other relevant data shows correct location to be (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for NGR).
- <R1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM07NE24.
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, V, 121-123; LXXI, 150,151; XCVI, 56; card index 465; map 32.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volumes, card index, map.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM07NE36.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: site plan (B Brown).
- <S3> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card.
- <S4> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 27, 1956, (2), 118.
- <S5> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 PAS 30-NOV-73.
- <S6> SSF60150 Map: Brown, B.. Annotated Record Map Corr 6".
- <S7> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jan 19 2022 11:58AM