Monument record STU 022 - Pit exposed by tidal erosion in a cliff along the R Stour contained IA pottery, a triangular loom weight, animal bones, iron fragments, charcoal and …
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1405 3315 (100m by 100m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||STUTTON, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
Pit exposed by tidal erosion in a cliff along the R Stour contained IA pottery, a triangular loom weight, animal bones, iron fragments, charcoal and fragments of fired clay, interpreted by R R Clarke as a hut-urn, and by G Bersu as a transportable oven for holding wood charcoal, with a rectangular opening - similar to examples from Hungary (S1)(S2)(R1)(R2). Found 1933 by Mr Todd of Woolverstone, now in IPSMG (S1).
The location of this site is marked on sketch map (site H) by Victor Scott in (S3), who states the `hut urn' "was exposed under a cairn of septaria ... (which is possibly briquetage) at a little distance away, a triangular loom weight & some briquetage". M V Scott also has "found Iron Age pot sherds at site H" (S3).
Also Iron Age pot sherds together with Roman pot and coins found in cliff fall a few metres NE of original spot. (S4).
- <R1> SSF3656 (No record type): Clarke R R, Iron Age in Norfolk & Suffolk, Arch J, 1939, 20-22 & 97-98.
- <S1> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 1933-145, 1933.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: copy (S3).
- <R2> SSF1207 (No record type): Bersu G, Excavations at Little Woodbury, PPS, 6, 1940, 53.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM13SW2.
- <S3> SSF21129 (No record type): Scott V M, `Surface finds from Stutton, Suffolk', Colchester Arch Group Annual Bull, 27, 1984, fig 1.
- <R3> SSF3650 (No record type): Clarke R R, East Anglia, 96.
- <S4> SSF50104 Digital archive: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service. Portable Antiquities Database. Nye, J. (ECS) per Geake SCCAS sf 576/4743.
- FSF17368: POTTERY (Iron Age - 800 BC? to 42 AD?)
- FSF17369: LOOMWEIGHT (Iron Age - 800 BC? to 42 AD?)
- FSF17370: ANIMAL REMAINS (Iron Age - 800 BC? to 42 AD?)
- FSF17371: UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Iron Age - 800 BC? to 42 AD?)
- FSF17372: BRIQUETAGE (Iron Age - 800 BC? to 42 AD?)
- FSF26976: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF26977: COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Feb 11 2009 2:41PM