Monument record HRK 003 - Small rectangular enclosure and outline of a building on the site of St Clements chapel, of unknown date, visible as cropmarks. (Un)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1988 3352 (149m by 224m)|
|Civil Parish||HARKSTEAD, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Cropmarks on the site of St Clements chapel include a small rectangular enclosure with a small rectangular outline of a ? building within, with a possible entrance to the SE. Remains of a second field/enclosure are connected on the E side. Two linear ditches run N, as well as several shorter lengths, some E-W, but not forming any obvious pattern (S1, S5). 1995: Area of site delineated on HER map extended to E to include linear enclosure/field boundaries. Probably part of complex to N, HRK 035. See Med.
Photograph (S1) was not available during the Suffolk Coastal NMP project. The cropmarks shown on photographs (S2) are not clear or coherent, with the exception of the remains of the field boundary shown on the 2nd Edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of circa 1904 (S3), and therefore have not been recorded. (S4)
- <S1> SSF11045 (No record type): McMasters, I.. McMasters Mrs I, AP, 1979.
- <M1> SSF43506 (No record type): AP: McMasters Mrs I.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: copies (S2).
- <S2> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM1933/1 (1657/325-6) 12-JUL-1979 & 4039/83, July 1993.
- <S3> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25". circa 1904.
- <S4> SXS50100 Verbal communication: Newsome, S.. 2001 -. Suffolk Coastal NMP Project. Sarah Newsome 16/03/04.
- <S5> SSF55339 Unpublished document: Palmer, R.. 2002. St Clement's Chapel, Harkstead.
- <S6> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 4 2021 3:07PM