Monument record ISM 005 - Shadowbarn Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3345 8634 (60m by 71m)|
|Civil Parish||ST MARGARET, ILKETSHALL, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Cropmark of a rectangular enclosure, approximately 50m long x 30m wide (S1), part of the ISM 004 complex.
Fieldwalking in 1987 revealed a scatter of largely unglazed C14-C15 sherds within the area of the enclosure, principally in the western half of the area, also a small amount of glazed pottery, including some ? Grimston-type ware, and 4 large lava mill stone fragments (S2).
A rectangular ditched enclosure is visible as a cropmark on aerial photographs in Bungay parish, immediately to the west of Shadowbarn Farm, centred on TM 334863.. The cropmarks of the ditches are between 1.5 and 3.5 metres wide, enclosing an area measuring approximately 56 metres north-south and 35-38 metres east to west. No internal features are visible on the available photorgraphs. The enclosure is on a similar alignment to the surrounding field system, which probably originated in the medieval period, and is probably of a similar or earlier date, an interpretation supported by the finds from within the enclosure, described above. (S3)
- <S1> SSF18741 (No record type): SAU, APs ADD 18 19, 5 July 1976.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file : fieldwalking and finds reports.
- <M2> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. AP : SAU ADD 18 19.
- <S2> SSF7260 Unpublished document: Hardy M J,. 1988.
- <S3> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. TM 3386/2 (SFU 11556) 01-JUL-1976.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Dec 19 2011 2:26PM