Monument record ISM 007 - Shadowbarn Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3366 8649 (146m by 196m)|
|Civil Parish||ST MARGARET, ILKETSHALL, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Area of indistinct and ill defined cropmarks, probably part of field systems- part of cropmark site ISM 004 (S1).
Fieldwalking in 1987 revealed a small scatter of pottery, mainly C13-C14 unglazed wares. Also one sherd of a Rom white ware mortarium with flint grits probably an outlier from site BUN 022.
Cropmarks of field boundaries of probable medieval and post-medieval date can be seen on aerial photographs to the north of Shadowbarn Farm, Ilketshall St Margaret parish, centred approximately on TM336865. One of the cropmarks relates to a field boundary marked on the First Edition Ordnance Survey map of circa 1884, whilst the remaining features are less regular in layout and do not appear to respect the surrounding extant field system. This may support an interpretation of two phases of land organisation or, alternatively, that some of the marks may be non-archaeological in origin; although the clearest cropmark in this group, the irregularity of the mark at circa TM33698655 may suggest a natural origin. (S3)
- <S1> SSF18360 (No record type): SAU, AP ADD 18 19, 5 July 1976.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file : fieldwalking and finds reports.
- <M2> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. AP : SAU ADD 18 19.
- <S2> SSF7260 Unpublished document: Hardy M J,. 1988.
- <S3> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 3386/1 (SFU 11556) 01-JUL-1976.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Aug 15 2006 12:00AM