Monument record BUR 004 - Stubbings Entry (Med)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 063 741 (146m by 123m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BURGATE, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Med, moated site. Rectangular moat with additions to E, partly occupied, isolated, on parish boundary at W end of Stubbings Green.
Manor of the De Stebbing family and Med charters (Burgate Charters) now in Chicago, USA, give details.
Basil Brown excavated within moated area and found 20 feet x 20 feet pavement made up of single lines of oyster shells laid almost edge to edge, 18 inches below ground level. Early Med pottery sherds, roof tiles with hole for peg, nails, charcoal and masonry were also found. Close to the site on the SE, large "coping stones" and a fine bronze buckle were ploughed out by the owner (S1,S2,S3,S4)(R1,R2).
July 1999: Scheduled. Details in (S5).
See also Sax.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volumes, card index, map.
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, XX,49-53; XXII,67-73; XXIII, 67,89; XXV, 11-14; XXVIII,45; XXXV,5; LVI,10; XCIII,41,146; XC.
- <R1> SSF7304 (No record type): Harris Rev, East Anglian Miscellany, 9690, 9695.
- <R2> SSF2934 (No record type): Burgate Charters, University Library, Chicago, 1254, 1315 etc..
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM07SE7.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. (S5).
- <S3> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. VCH Suffolk 1. 606.
- <S4> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 21, 1933, (3), 263.
- <S5> SSF50080 Unpublished document: English Heritage. Scheduling Information, July 1999.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Nov 8 2011 10:16AM