Monument record BOT 002 - Bridewell and Gashouse Lane
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0485 7572 (50m by 50m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BOTESDALE, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Rom pottery kiln, circular, pedestal, updraught on field at corner of Bridewell and Gashouse Lane in April 1946 during building of prefabs. Site along hollow way for length of 20 feet. Dump and stokehole cut through and kiln excavated by Basil Brown with helpers. Much black earth in area, much pottery, possibly C2-C3, one Antonine Samian sherd, small bronze object, sent to IPSMG. Kiln lined with puddled clay 2 inches thick and some pottery sherds embedded in walls. Clay plates found with imprint of straw or grass on inner side. Kiln similar to Gardenhouse kiln, Rickinghall Superior (S1)(S2)(R1).
Site of possible furnace 50 feet to E of kiln with much slag and clear glass fragments, Brown thought this to be glass making area (S1). Near Bridewell House, TM 0495 7570 "Roman hut & occupation" (S3)(S2). Previous find circa 1860 of 17 unguentaria during original gas installation (hence Gashouse Lane), now at BSEMH may be from this area - see BOT/RKS Misc. (S4).
Area now entirely built over.
September 1995: Evaluation of plot to NW demonstrated extensive C19 & C20 disturbance but little evidence for former Rom activity - details in (S5).
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, VIII,23-26; XXXVIII,7; LXVII,50-57; XCI,63; XCVI,14; XCVII,22,44,78; card 41; map 24.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volumes, card index, map.
- <R1> SSF9992 (No record type): J of Roman Stud, 35,82.
- <S2> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: plans and section (B Brown); (S5).
- <S3> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, XCVII, 78.
- <S4> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, II, 139; card 41.
- <S5> SSF51423 Unpublished document: Caruth, J.. 1995. Eval report. Chapel Lane, Botesdale.
- <S6> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Apr 21 2021 1:13PM