Monument record RKS 017 - Brick Kiln Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0377 7440 (51m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||RICKINGHALL SUPERIOR, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Rom oval, pedestal kiln discovered while ploughing field S of Summer Lane by G Salter in March 1954. Reported to IPSMG by Basil Brown and excavated by him, N Smedley and S E West. Pottery sherds found in flue area included forms of jars, bowls and beaker with barbotine dots which Basil Brown dated as early C2. Thin clay wall plates were recovered together with a bronze fragment (possibly from stylus) and two iron objects, one of which may have been a bucket handle (S1)(S2)(S3)(S4).
There is no trace of the kiln, but its site was indicated on the ground at TM 0376 7440 by Mr Rice, who was present during the excavation (S5)
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, IV, 61-69; LX 12; LXXI, 62-64; LXXXIX, 31,32; XCVII, 22, 47; map 23a.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volumes, map.
- <S2> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: Plan (B Brown), pottery list (J Plouviez).
- <M3> SSF35725 (No record type): Photographs: SAU BIK 008, 009.
- <S3> SSF9805 (No record type): IPSMG, field plan M6.
- <S4> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 27, 1955, (1), 44.
- <S5> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 NKB 21-NOV-73.
- <S6> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Apr 26 2021 4:20PM