Monument record SLY 025 - A Medieval or Post Medieval windmill site visible as a cropmark. (PMed)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2402 3632 (539m by 372m)|
|Civil Parish||SHOTLEY, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Ring ditch, circa 25m diameter (S1). Cropmark of cross in centre indicates site of windmill (S2) (S3).
The site of a Medieval or Post Medieval windmill is visible as a cropmark on aerial photographs, centred on TM 24023628 in Shotley parish. The cross-shaped ditches where the cross-trees of the post mill were located are clearly visible within the ring ditch, which encloses an area of roughly 21m in diameter. The more westerly cross-tree trench appears to extend further than the others, at least to the edge of the ring ditch itself (S1) (S2) (S3).
- <S1> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2336/4 (SFU 11560/GC/18) 01-JUL-1977.
- <M1> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. AP: AGC 18.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: copy (S2).
- <S2> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2336/17 (4631/15) 30-MAY-1990.
- <S3> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2336/19 (4631/18) 30-MAY-1990.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 26 2014 1:46PM