Monument record MDS 006 - Moatyards (OS 343/372) (and BACKLOG)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1027 6346 (63m by 80m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||MENDLESHAM, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Probable moated site - all that survives is one elongated pond which was probably the western side of the moat. Probable site of Winchesters Manor. Possible dovecote site adjacent to S.
Nov 1959: Moated mound levelled and C15 pottery and 8 inch lava quern and puddingstone quern found by V Lambert (S1).
1969-1970: Fieldwalking survey by R Colchester located one possible Ipswich ware rim, a few Med rims, large quantity of C13-late C14 pottery, including two grey fabric sherds with a white exterior slip with small overlapping scales covered by a bright green glaze. Other finds include small stone spindle whorl, C12 limestone mortar, a lava mortar, fragments of lava querns, two bronze discs and a Nuremburg token (S2)(S3).
1989: A circular bronze horse harness pendant, plain but probably gilded on one surface; a bronze buckle with a 4-petalled design on the plate, gilded; a bronze candle holder; a bronze crock fragment; a large lava millstone fragment 8-9cm thick with a grinding surface 12cm in diameter from the central spindle, probably a bottom stone; two large mill stone fragments made of a white vesicular rock, apparently calcareous, single sided, 9-12cm thick; a red ware jug handle with a white slip band below the rim & above the handle (S4).
TM 1030 6352: approximately 30-40 yds apart: bronze seal matrix, flat pointed oval shape with loop at the back, ascension scene and inscription VT ASCENDIT ITA VENIET `As he ascends so shall he come', C14. Gilt bronze six- foil pendant with a central circle containing another sixfoil on a blue enamelled background, probably a C14 horse harness pendant (S5). 1992: Bronze seal matrix, circular, central lion rampant and inscription SVM LEO FORTIS `I am a strong lion', and two bronze jettons, probably English, C14 (S6).
1998: bronze seal matrix, circular, flat with a central rib and suspension loop. Die has curled lion within a six-petalled flower and inscription SIOHIS : DETEMPLO : 'the seal of John the Temple', probably 14th century, detials in (S7).
- <M1> SSF40298 (No record type): Mendlesham survey archive: copy (S2)(S3).
- <S1> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card Mendlesham Med.
- <S2> SSF3854 (No record type): Colchester R, Mendlesham survey record card, site 6, 1969.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: finds report; drawing of horse harness pendant; seal matrix.
- <S3> SSF3849 (No record type): Colchester R, A Landscape History of the Parish of Mendlesham, Ms, circa 1977.
- <M3> SSF40300 (No record type): impression.
- <S4> SSF10963 (No record type): Martin, E.A.. Martin E, visit to R Colchester 1989.
- <S5> SSF3837 (No record type): Colchester D, 1990.
- <S6> SSF3838 (No record type): Colchester D, 1992.
- <S7> SSF59718 Finds Report: Martin, E.. 1998. SCCAS Finds Record: Mendlesham (MDS 006).
- FSF12672: POTTERY (12th century - 1101 AD to 1154 AD)
- FSF12673: POTTERY EARLY MEDIEVAL (IPS: Middle Late Saxon to 14th century - 1000 AD to 1300 AD)
- FSF12674: SPINDLE WHORL (12th century - 1101 AD to 1154 AD)
- FSF12675: MORTAR (VESSEL) (12th century - 1101 AD to 1154 AD)
- FSF12676: MORTAR (VESSEL) (12th century - 1101 AD to 1154 AD)
- FSF12677: QUERN (12th century - 1101 AD to 1154 AD)
- FSF12678: POTTERY (12th century - 1101 AD to 1154 AD)
- FSF12679: QUERN (12th century - 1101 AD to 1154 AD)
- FSF12680: UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (12th century - 1101 AD to 1154 AD)
- FSF12681: TOKEN (12th century - 1101 AD to 1154 AD)
- FSF12682: MILLSTONE (12th century - 1101 AD to 1154 AD)
- FSF12683: CANDLE HOLDER (12th century - 1101 AD to 1154 AD)
- FSF12684: HARNESS (12th century - 1101 AD to 1154 AD)
- FSF12685: BUCKLE (12th century - 1101 AD to 1154 AD)
- FSF12686: VESSEL (12th century - 1101 AD to 1154 AD)
- FSF12687: SEAL (12th century - 1101 AD to 1154 AD)
- FSF12688: HARNESS (12th century - 1101 AD to 1154 AD)
- FSF51651: SEAL MATRIX (14th century - 1300 AD to 1399 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 29 2020 10:23AM