Monument record ELV 008 - Post Medieval brick kiln and brickworks, opened for the naufacture of bricks for Elveden Hall.

Please read our .

Summary

Brick kiln (and pit) opened 1894 for manufacture of bricks for Elveden Hall (ELV 009) enlargements. The site of the Elveden Hall brick works is also visible on aerial photographs

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 8091 8040 (262m by 155m)
Map sheet TL88SW
Civil Parish ELVEDEN, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

Brick kiln (and pit) opened 1894 for manufacture of bricks for Elveden Hall (ELV 009) enlargements. Bricks include various specialised forms. Operated by Nathen Carter in 1894, Arther Shaw in 1904, closed in 1914 (S1). May 1988: Excavation merely to allow recording (by Suffolk Industrial Archaeology Society) prior to destruction/burial (R1). Cited grid reference of TL 813 801 inaccurate (S1).
12 May 1988: Site now covered with overburden from Centre-Parcs holiday complex development (S2).
See also ELV Misc - PMed.
Report with Suffolk Industrial Archaeological Society (S3).
For layout of brickworks (including brick-pit with Pal ELV 006), see OS 1928 map (S4).

January 2018. 'Brecks from Above' and Breckland National Mapping Programme.
The site of the Elveden Hall brick works is visible on aerial photographs (S5-S6). No mapping was undertaken as the site is well recorded by historical maps.
S. Horlock (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 5th January 2018.

Sources/Archives (7)

  • <S1> (No record type): Suff Ind Archaeol Soc, Newsletter 21, April 1988.
  • <M1> Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: field report.
  • <S2> (No record type): SAU (Pendleton C), field report, 1988.
  • <S3> (No record type): Suff Ind Archaeol Soc, Newsletter 61, January 1998.
  • <S4> Map: OS. OS Map. OS, map 1928.
  • <S5> Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/106G/UK/1557 FP 1005 07-JUN-1946 (HEA Original Print).
  • <S6> Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/58/2688 F21 0212-0213 25-JAN-1959 (HEA Original Print).

Finds (1)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (5)

Record last edited

Feb 9 2018 1:50PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.