Monument record RKN 011 - Calke Wood (Rom)

Please read our .

Summary

Calke Wood is a multi period site consisting of an area of hollows of varying sizes and depths, many of which contain features.

Location

Grid reference Centred TM 0223 7483 (255m by 306m) (Centred on)
Map sheet TM07SW
Civil Parish RICKINGHALL INFERIOR, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (5)

Full Description

Calke Wood is a multi period site consisting of an area of hollows of varying sizes and depths, many of which contain features. The area is encompassed within an earthwork, possibly Med boundaries, and has been used extensively as a source of pottery clay throughout the settlement periods and into modern times. Calke Wood had been kept under excavation by Basil Brown for IPSMG since the mid 1930's with excavations by him from time to time and in 1956 an excavation on behalf of MOW was undertaken by J S Wacher. This site has obvious connections with the Cottage Field site, Wattisfield, WSF 001 and Foxledge Common, Wattisfield, WSF 003, with the parish boundary running between them (S1)(S2).
First Rom find made in 1923 during clay digging by Watsons Potteries of grey ware pot and a grey ware patera was revealed by E Rivett in 1936. Basil Brown excavating in 1946 revealed a hut site, within a hollow, which was circular, diameter 15 feet and found further evidence of Rom occupation in 1952. Bricks and tiles found at the site led him to believe a building was in the area but there is no confirmation of this. All Rom finds overlaid earlier occupations. A greyware cooking pot found in a bank between hollows was found near bones, a burial was suspected, but the bones when investigated were not human and appeared to be cut antlers. Pottery in IPSMG, but also in archive. This consists of plain micaceous grey wares, Samian, including decorated and a small bronze ear scoop (S1)(S2).
MOW excavation, directed by J S Wacher in 1956, consisted of trench across hollows W-E with a N-S trench intersecting at the E end. At the intersection 3 postholes were revealed and a clay floor, upto 1 foot thick with an area of burnt flints, the whole surrounded by a bank. This is probably a Rom hut but could be IA. Finds included brick, pottery and fired clay knife moulds (S3). See also other periods cross referenced below.
(S1) See below.
(S2) IPSMG, map M6, plans M104,M132,M140,M142,M143
(S3) PSIA, 28, 1958, (1), 1-28

Sources/Archives (3)

  • <S1> Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B,I,1,1a,5,7-10,12,14,15,17,37,40-43,53,62,65-122,131-187;IV,2-11, 15,18,41-62,70-6,83-105,119.
  • <M1> Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volumes, card index, map, site plans 14,25.
  • <M2> Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: site plan, section (B Brown 1953).

Finds (5)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (2)

Record last edited

Feb 17 2010 12:09PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.