Monument record SEM 002 - Moat, roughly rectangular,
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 322 836 (97m by 77m)|
|Civil Parish||ST MARGARET, SOUTH ELMHAM, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Moat, roughly rectangular, on the edge of St Margaret's Green (S1). Marked on the OS 1:10560 map. Interior occupied by a red brick barn with a pantiled roof; a timber-framed house within the enclosure was burnt down within living memory (S2).
Scatter of C15-C16 pottery (? with some C17) found outside NE corner; C15- C16 pottery (? with some C14) and lava mill stone fragments were also found outside SW corner (S2).
January 1999: Scheduled. Details in (S3).
2006: Geophysical survey identified substantial remains of all structures depicted in the 1870's and shows that there are also extensive earlier structures (S4).
- <S1> SSF18208 (No record type): SAU (West S E), undated.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file : fieldwalking report.
- <M2> SSF50016 Scheduling record: English Heritage. Scheduled Ancient Monument file. (S2).
- <S2> SSF50080 Unpublished document: English Heritage. English Heritage, Scheduling Information, May 1999.
- <S2> SSF7258 (No record type): Hardy M J, 1986.
- <S4> SSF54750 Unpublished document: Roseveare M J & Wiesker B. 2006. Surveys at the Barn, South Elham, Suffolk, Geophysical Survey Report.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
Record last edited
Aug 10 2017 3:11PM