Monument record MNL 119 - Findspot of a Bronze-Age bronze socketed axe.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 6707 7730 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||MILDENHALL, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Bronze large socketed axe with loop. Decorated with three parallel ribs with end pellets. Slight invasive corrosion and fibrous encrustations. Length 12.7 cms, collar 4.6 x 4.8 cms, blade 5.7 cms wide. Found by (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) on ploughed field surface in 1960's (S1)(S2).
Sompting or Sompting influenced type of `massive' socketed axe, circa C7 BC. Also flint triangular arrowhead reputedly from `same field' found by (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) (S3).
- --- SSF15678 Unpublished document: Pendleton C F. 1987. Catalogue of finds and findspots,1965-1987, unpublished.
- <S1> SSF15670 (No record type): Pendleton C F, A Catalogue of Prehistoric Metalwork from West Row, 1979, unpublished.
- <M1> SSF38957 (No record type): Photographs: AEL 4-6, 28.
- <S2> SSF15688 (No record type): Pendleton C F, The Distribution of BA Metalwork in NW Suffolk, BA dissertation, Nottingham, 1985.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: Pendleton C F, Ms 1979, copy.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Apr 28 2020 12:53PM