Monument record SEP 001 - St Peter's Hall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 335 853 (107m by 55m)|
|Civil Parish||ST PETER, SOUTH ELMHAM, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
Moat, 2 sides of square, occupied, isolated, close to parish boundary, marked on OS 1:10560 1957 (S1).
St Peter's Hall C15, C16, C17 composed of material from the ruins of St Nicholas, All Saints South Elmham Church and Flixton Abbey, much altered and restored. Just S of the Hall are the remains of a moat, Grade II (S2) from (R1).
The Hall is unoccupied, the major part being used as farm buildings. It has been cement rendered and shows little of archaeological note. See photograph. Published survey (25 inch) of moat revised. Maximum depth 1.3m (S2). (S3) contains a description of the Hall and its history to 1928 with references and illustrations. Also a history of the Tasburgh family as it relates to the Hall from their wills.
Mid 1990s: Moat dredged, spoil mainly redeposited on top of site SEP 002 (Med pottery scatter) and a few trailer loads of TM 3415 8535 (Ilketshall St Margaret)(S4).
- <S1> SSF18208 (No record type): SAU (West S E), undated.
- <R1> SSF5203 (No record type): DOE (HHR) Wainford R D Suffolk, August 1949, 51.
- <R2> SSF21710 (No record type): Suckling Reverend A I, History and Antiquities of the County of Suffolk, volume 1, 229-231 (ill).
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM38NW7,1977.
- <R3> SSF4117 (No record type): Copinger, Manors of Suffolk, 7, 178.
- <S3> SSF6264 (No record type): Farrer Reverend E, St Peter's Hall South Elmham, PSIA, 20, 1928,(1), 48- 72 (ill).
- <R4> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Pevsner N, Buildings of East Suffolk, 1961, 398.
- <S4> SSF50082 Verbal communication: Personal communication. Maycock T, November 2000.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Sep 10 2009 5:14PM