Monument record FLN 008 - Flixton Park (BA)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3018 8654 (71m by 63m)|
|Civil Parish||FLIXTON (NEAR BUNGAY), WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Large ring ditch, circa 40m diameter, to the N of Flixton Hall (S1)(S2). Grid reference altered from TM 3013 3656 1st November 1989.
Next to possible second ring ditch, FLN 045.
Prior to excavation this showed as a 0.66m high mound in a ploughed field. Excavation subsequently showed that the centre of the mound had been displaced 10m to the NW of the ring ditch centre through the construction of a Med windmill on the mound. A dispersed cremation burial, associated with sherds of EBA pottery of collared urn type, was found 8.5m SSW of the ring ditch centre. A number of flint tools, mainly scrapers and waste flakes were recovered from various places within the ring ditch. The ring ditch itself was 4.7m wide and 1.69m deep and had a diameter of 40m (S1). See also Sax, Rom & Med.
The remains of a round barrow of Bronze Age date is visible as a cropmark ring ditch on aerial photographs, to the north of Flixton Hall, Flixton parish, centred on circa TM 301865. (S5-S7, S9)
- <S1> SSF11739 (No record type): NAU, AP, TM 3086/P/AXH1, 16/7/1984.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: ACX 2, AGG 12 13, AGG 14; CUCAP BFL 86.
- <S2> SSF18716 (No record type): SAU, APs ACX 2, June 1976, AGG 12,13, AGG 14, July 1977.
- <M2> SSF41195 (No record type): Excavation archive:.
- <S3> SSF10943 (No record type): Martin, E.A.. Martin E, SAU, Excavation summary, 1990.
- <S4> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP BFL 86.
- <S5> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 3086/23 (NLA AXH/1) 16-JUL-1984.
- <S6> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 3086/10 (NLA TM3086H) 02-AUG-1977.
- <S7> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2986/4 (NLA TM3086B) 21-JUL-1977.
- <S8> SSF50250 Article in serial: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. PSIAH 37(3) 1991 p268.
- <S9> SSF54570 Unpublished document: Palmer, R.. 2003. Flixton, Area centred TM301865, Suffolk: Aerial photographic interpretation.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Sep 23 2014 10:50AM