Monument record FLN 009 - Cropmarks of a square ditched enclosure with an internal feature and several linear features, Former Tarmac Quarry, Flixton,
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3008 8658 (605m by 631m)|
|Civil Parish||FLIXTON (NEAR BUNGAY), WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Small wide ditched square enclosure cropmark, entrance on SW side, showing on 1976 & 1977 Aps (S2 & CUCAP CCR 35) demonstrated to be Pmed in 2003 excavation - see Pmed. Other fainter cropmarks.
Quarry Manager stated to E Martin on 2 April 1986 that this cropmark is situated where the company did a token gravel extraction about 10 years or so ago to keep alive their permission to extract gravel (S3) though does not look like gravel extraction site! Surface flints (SAU AR 11) (S1).
1997: Scatter of 18 worked flints and burnt flints found on rough ploughed ground. Details in (S4).
Several linear features and a square, ditched enclosure with an internal feature, are visible on aerial photographs as cropmarks, circa 800 metres to the north-west of Flixton Hall, Flixton parish. All are undatable from the aerial photographs alone, but the excavation that identified the probably post-medieval date of the square enclosure is discussed further in MSF21845. The south-west to north-east aligned straight linear ditched features to the south of the enclosure are probably field boundaries of medieval and post medieval date. The roughly 'V' shaped ditched linear feature also visible on the aerial photographs, and noted in the plan of the exavated features, is probably the remains of a plantation boundary, visible on the First Edition Ordnance Survey map of circa 1884. An irregular cropmark centred on circa TM 29918642 is probably the result of tree removal. (S5-S7).
- <S1> SSF18118 (No record type): SAU (Plouviez J), undated.
- <M1> SSF45256 (No record type): AP: ACX 2 22/6/1976.
- <S2> SSF18332 (No record type): SAU, AP ACX 2, 22/6/1976.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S4).
- <S3> SSF18041 (No record type): SAU (Martin E), 2 April 1986.
- <S4> SSF18051 (No record type): SAU (Newman J & Martin E) site & finds reports, March 1997.
- <S5> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2986/11 (SLU TM2986/11) 6/7/77.
- <S6> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2986/14 (NMR 1662/401) 19/7/79.
- <S7> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition. Circa 1884.
- <S8> SSF58525 Unpublished document: Martin, E. A. and Plouviez, J.. 1978. Prehistoric and Roman Cropmark Sites in Suffolk.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
May 3 2018 4:02PM