Monument record FLN 010 - Flixton Park
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3045 8634 (48m by 40m)|
|Civil Parish||FLIXTON (NEAR BUNGAY), WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Single ring ditch or small circular enclosure, circa 43m in diameter, cut by trackway on NW edge, noted from APs (S1). 21 July 1977: NAU, NGR TM 3043 8632, positive cropmark from AP, overlay 3086/C (S3).
July 1998: NGR & mapped location altered from TM 3044 8634 to TM 3046 8635.
A ring ditch of probable Bronze Age date can be seen as a cropmark on aerial photographs, circa 400 metres to the north of Flixton Hall, Flixton parish, centred on circa TM 30448634, partly obscured by an approach road or drive to the Hall. Possibly Bronze Age, however, this feature is in the same approximate location as a parkland clump of trees marked on the First Edition Ordnance Survey map of circa 1884, and may therefore be the remains of a tree circle (S5).
- <S1> SSF18047 (No record type): SAU (Martin E), undated.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: AGG 12, 13 21/7/1977, AGH 14 27/7/1977, AJH 12 11/8/1978; CUCAP CJB 38.
- <S2> SSF18482 (No record type): SAU, AP AGG 12 13 21/7/1977,AGG 14 27/7/1977, AJH 12 11/8/1978.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: NAU record card; correspondence.
- <S3> SSF11785 (No record type): NAU, Norfolk Archaeol index, primary record card Suff Misc/BA, 13/10/83.
- <S4> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP CJB 38, 1979.
- <S5> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 3086/5 (NLA TM3086C) 21-JUL-1977.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 23 2014 10:54AM