Monument record FLN 011 - Flixton Park
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3085 8684 (31m by 24m)|
|Civil Parish||FLIXTON (NEAR BUNGAY), WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Single ring ditch, circa 20m in diameter, noted from AP (S1). NAU AP 21 July 1977, NGR TM 3076 8685 (S3).
November 1995: re-sited from TM 3084 8685 to TM 3085 8684.
A ring ditch, possibly the remains of a barrow of Bronze Age date, is visible on aerial photographs as a cropmark in the parkland of Flixton Hall, centred on circa TM 308864. The cropmark of the ditch is under two metres wide and encloses a central area approximately 17 metres in diameter. A linear cropmark, possibly a field boundary of later date, abuts the ring ditch on its south-western side. A second similarly sized ring-ditch is also visible to the south west (FLN 012). (S5)
- <S1> SSF18243 (No record type): SAU, (Martin E), undated.
- <M1> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. APs: AGG 15, AJH 3.
- <S2> SSF18483 (No record type): SAU, AP AGG 15, 21/7/1977.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: NAU record card, correspondence.
- <S3> SSF11787 (No record type): NAU, Norfolk Archaeological index, primary record card Suffolk Misc/BA, 14 October 1983.
- <S4> SSF11694 (No record type): NAU, AP AJH 3.
- <S5> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 3086/3 (NLA TM3086A) 21-JUL-1977.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 26 2014 3:43PM