Monument record MNL 225 - Hayland Drove (BA)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 6527 7748 (105m by 107m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||MILDENHALL, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Concentrated scatter of artefacts discovered fieldwalking by Colin Pendleton and Patrick Norman between 1965 and 1987 (S1).
Material includes various worked and burnt flints, split bone, 2 barbed and tanged flint arrowheads, 5 bone awl fragments, worked and cut bone, pottery, a V perforated jet button (MNL 178) 3.3 cms in diameter and a jet toggle (MNL 128 - compare to similar toggles from MNL 165)(S1).
Incorporated in this scatter are MNL 128 and MNL 178.
See also Neo.
1978: Trial excavations by E Martin demonstrated total destruction of archaeological occupation horizons by recent ploughing (S3).
- --- SSF59591 Finds Report: Pendleton C. 2007. MNL 225 (2007).
- <S1> SSF15678 Unpublished document: Pendleton C F. 1987. Catalogue of finds and findspots,1965-1987, unpublished. Pendleton C F, Catalogue of material & findspots, 1965-1987, unpublished.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: map, drawing, MNL 165 site summary.
- <M2> SSF36176 (No record type): Photographs: AEY 33-35, AEX 8-9 (jet toggle).
- <S2> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Archaeol in Suff, 1980, PSIA, 35, 1981, (1), 76.
- <S3> SSF10953 (No record type): Martin, E.A.. Martin E, Summary of MNL 165, 1981.
- FSF3108: WORKED OBJECT (Bronze Age - 2350 BC? to 701 BC?)
- FSF3109: BARBED AND TANGED ARROWHEAD (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC? to 1501 BC?)
- FSF3110: POTTERY (Early Bronze Age to Middle Bronze Age - 2350 BC? to 1001 BC?)
- FSF3111: AWL (Early Bronze Age to Middle Bronze Age - 2350 BC? to 1001 BC?)
- FSF3112: WORKED OBJECT (Early Bronze Age to Middle Bronze Age - 2350 BC? to 1001 BC?)
- FSF3113: BUTTON (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC? to 1501 BC?)
- FSF3114: TOGGLE (Early Bronze Age to Middle Bronze Age - 2350 BC? to 1001 BC?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Event - Intervention: Excavated by SAU (Martin E A) (Ref: SAU (Martin E A)) (ESF14837)
- Event - Intervention: Systematic Fieldwalking Survey? Hayland Drove; OS Field 3045; F21, Mildenhall (ESF27727)
- Event - Intervention: Systematic Fieldwalking Survey? Hayland Drove; OS Field 3045; F21, Mildenhall (ESF27769)
Record last edited
May 14 2020 11:17AM