Monument record WNG 022 - Relatively substantial earthwork bank to E of similar sized banks
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 750 837 (252m by 301m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||WANGFORD, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Relatively substantial earthwork bank to E of similar sized banks, WNG 021. Between 1-2m high and 25-35m wide. Grass, nettle and small shrub covered. Laterally bisected by Wangford to Lakenheath Road. N half partially in encroaching woodland with active dump to E and cultivated field to W. S half in between cultivated fields (S1).
`Slighter (?) bank formerly visible to NW and plotted on OS 1:2500 map, revised in July 1974, between WNG 021 and N end of surviving bank with further adjoining arm extending N (S3). These `slighter' banks are now ploughed virtually flat (S1).
These earthworks appear to form part of the boundaries of `Dry Close', which together with WNG 021 were the only arable fields shown on the 1842 Tithe Map. Probably built as a rabbit barrier. The fields to S & E are marked as `Warren' (S4).
November 1975: Fields to N (N, E & W of Sayers Carr) `lightly covered with Med sherds, few flakes, RB tile ... including Samian sherd & two iron pieces' (S2).
- <S1> SSF20210 (No record type): SAU, Pendleton C, site report, September 1988 & November 1988.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: site report, copy (S2).
- <S2> SSF11219 (No record type): MIHLM, 6 inch record map, 2/11/1975 entry.
- <S3> SSF50026 Map: OS. OS Map. OS, 1:2500 map, TL 7483-7583, 1975.
- <S4> SSF22213 Map: 1842. Wangford Tithe Map. Tithe Map, Wangford, 1842.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Mar 28 2019 1:49PM