Monument record BNT 014 - Post Medieval field boundaries, visible on aerial photographs.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 122 336 (564m by 592m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BRANTHAM, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Cropmark complex, several double ditched systems (S1)(R1)(S2). Area includes BNT 007. Adjacent to and connected (?) with BNT 015. 1992: Small trial excavation to investigate `relationship' between intersecting ditch cropmarks TM 1207 3362, suggested linear N-S ditch cutting E-W trackway ditch (S3).
Field systems of probable Post Medieval date are visible on aerial photographs as cropmarks to the south-east of Bramham Hall Farm, Bramham parish, centred on circa TM12313372. A regular field system can be seen orientated roughly north-west to south-east, which appears to continue to the east (see BNT 051). The field system appears to share some of its layout with the current field boundaries and is probably Medieval or Post medieval in origin. At least two phases of land distribution activity can be seen in the cropmarks of this area, with a second system consisting of ditched trackways and possible field boundaries also visible as cropmarks (see BNT 058). That this field system is later in date than that recorded in BNT 058 appears to be confirmed by the excavation evidence described above (S3). (S4)
- --- SSF60022 Article in serial: Colchester Archaeological Group. 1980. Colchester Arch Group Bull 20 1980.
- <R1> SSF3827 (No record type): Colchester Arch Group Bull, 20, 1977, 19.
- <M1> SSF42099 (No record type): APs: AJF 2,3.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM13SW38.
- <S2> SSF18872 (No record type): SAU AJF 2-3.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S3).
- <S3> SSF19113 (No record type): SAU, Carr R D, September 1992.
- <S4> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM1234-1 (956/432-8) 07-JUN-1976.
- <S5> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
May 5 2021 10:24AM