Monument record LKH 035 - Caudle Farm, (Or Caudle Common?), Lakenheath, (Palaeolithic)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 722 812 (101m by 100m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||LAKENHEATH, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
The larger of the two parts of this item was found in 1871 (as marked on it) the other smaller part was found sometime before 1928 (as indicated by its museum code). There are no other details of either pieces discovery other than it (the larger part?) being a surface find.
Wymer believed that Cardwell was probably a misspelling of Caudle, the name of the dry valley South of Maidscross Hill. As noted there are two parts to this item, “Brandon Down” could mean anything and as the break would appear to be recent Caudle seems the only option for this items find-location. Indeed there is nowhere named Cardwell near Lakenheath (as it is labelled by the Ashmolean museum and by Wymer). The common, now much reduced by the nearby airfield is well marked on maps from the 1890s as is the other side of the valley.
The cited grid reference appears to be a location of Caudle Farm house, probably not of actual findspot? The centre of the common should be considered as an alternative, albeit one that is still aproximate (TL727808), (S3)
C. 1985, A second, very large, hand-axe was also found by on the surface on Caudle Farm (S4).
Note proximity to other hand-axe finds at Eriswell (ERL 047) and Maidscross Hill (LKH 036)(S1).
See also Iron Age record.
- --- SSF15678 Unpublished document: Pendleton C F. 1987. Catalogue of finds and findspots,1965-1987, unpublished.
- <S1> SSF6117 Bibliographic reference: Evans, J.. 1897. The Ancient Stone implements, weapons and ornaments of Great Britain.
- <S2> SSF17674 Bibliographic reference: Roe, Derek.. 1968. A Gazetteer of British Lower & Middle Palaeolithic sites.
- <S3> SSF56333 Unpublished document: Cutler, Hannah. 2013. Understanding Late Middle Palaeolithic Neandertal Landscape-use during Short-Term Occupations in Britain.
- <S4> SSF50084 Bibliographic reference: Wymer, J.J.. 1985. Palaeolithic Sites of East Anglia.
- <S6> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. VCH Suffolk 1. 260.
- <S7> SSF59351 Digital archive: Wymer, J.J.. 1999. The Lower Palaeolithic Occupation of Britain (TERPs) The Lower Palaeolithic Occupation of Britain (TERPS). 23036.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Intervention: Casual Observation?Caudle Farm, (Or Caudle Common?), Lakenheath, (ESF27567)
- Event - Intervention: Casual Observation?Caudle Farm, (Or Caudle Common?), Lakenheath, (ESF27568)
- Event - Intervention: Casual Observation?Caudle Farm, (Or Caudle Common?), Lakenheath, (ESF27569)
- Event - Interpretation: Enhancement of the Suffolk HER for the Palaeolithic & Mesolithic Periods (ESF26899)
Record last edited
Apr 28 2020 12:49PM