Monument record WNG 023 - Wangford Grange; Livermere Grange; Elmermere Grange
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7595 8353 (609m by 818m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||WANGFORD, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Rectilinear earthwork with internal subdivisions visible on AP. Seen as single bank on NW & SW sides and probably double bank on SE & NE sides (ploughed out?). Only the NE part of this outer enclosure appears to be in cultivated field, rest in heathland and scrubland (S1).
Hodskinson's 1783 map shows two buildings at this location marked "Grange", which appear to be bounded to the N by a road/track. Further to NE (outside the area of this site) a large `fish pond' [see WNG 024] is shown (S2).
No buildings are shown on OS 1st edition map or 1842 Tithe Map (S3)(S5). The Fishponds to the NE are marked as `Puthawk Mere' on Tithe map (S5) and `The Fishponds' on (S3), and appear to centre on a present low area at TL 7645 8407.
Wangford Grange mentioned in inquis post mortum of Philip de Ikeworth in C13. Belonged to Warden Abbey, Beds, for sheep husbandry, in C12 & C13. Valued at 13 pounds 13 shillings in 1291. Bank construction between the Grange and the Brandon Warren to the E is recorded in 1385-6 (see WNG 025). Dissolved 1537 and leased to crown at 4 pound per annum (S4).
November 1988: Banks survive to maximum 1.5m height. Definite apsidal end to NE of twin outer banks. Angled W corner of otherwise rectangular SW portion of enclosure. A further bank runs W from the SW perimeter and others occur slightly to the SE. See site report for details (S6).
This grange of the Cistercian Abbey of Warden was variously known as Livermere Grange or Elmermere Grange (fields called Lyvermerefield and Almermerefield are recorded nearby in Brandon in 1251)(S7). Livermere may be the name of the former pond that lay to the north of the site (see WNG 024).
Noted by CLW Messent in 1934 (The Monastic Remains of Norfolk and Suffolk, Norwich, Hunt).
- <S1> SSF320 (No record type): AP, SCC, 43 86 080, 1 August 1986.
- <M1> SSF41446 (No record type): AP: (Ipswich) 43 86 080.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: site report.
- <S2> SSF5466 Bibliographic reference: Hodskinson, J.. 1972. Dymond, D. P. (Ed), The County of Suffolk Surveyed. Dymond D P (Ed), The County of Suffolk surveyed by Joseph Hodskinson, Suff Rec Soc, 15, 1972.
- <S3> SSF15166 (No record type): OS, first edition one inch, sheet 54, Cambridge & Ely, 1836.
- <S4> SSF6776 (No record type): Gault W, Suffolk Parochial Characteristics Survey, Ms, 1987.
- <S5> SSF22213 Map: 1842. Wangford Tithe Map. Tithe Map, Wangford, 1842.
- <S6> SSF20215 (No record type): SAU, Pendleton C, Site Report, WNG 023, November 1988.
- <S7> SSF11589 (No record type): Munday J T, Brandon Manor Rolls, 1972.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Feb 14 2018 2:06PM