Monument record LKH 067 - Joist Fen (IA)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 6940 8557 (460m by 94m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||LAKENHEATH, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Joist Fen coin hoard. Joist Fen consists of 4 `islands', A B C & W, of light sand in middle of black peat fen producing Neo & BA scatters and IA coins (S1)(R1).
`After ploughing ... in (island) C, stray coins, Republican, Icenian and early Imperial. Rare types of Icenian. Total of 55 coins up to October 1960' (S1, 1960 entry)(S3)(S4).
`May and June 1961: Island C. 13 additional coins located by mine detector' (S1, 1961 entry) in CAMFZ (S3)(S5). Further details in G Briscoe archive. Total of 68 coins: 35 Rom (19 Republican, 16 Imperial), 33 Icenian recorded by G Briscoe (S6). Allen only records 64 coins (S7). (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s).
1961-1979: Further circa 111 coins found between 1961 and 1979 (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) with metal detector (S2).
1979: Metal detecting survey by (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) located further 7 Iceni and 2 Rom coins (list in site file), now in CAMFZ (S8). Total of circa 186 coins found up to 1980.
G Briscoe also reports `a group of plain black or dark grey sherds with good paste and well-smoothed surfaces' picked up on the surface, of Neo or IA date? (S9).
Four Iceni silver coins of Prasutagus from `Joist Fen' sold in Mossop sale in November 1991. Details in (S10).
Also Mes, Neo etc.
- <S1> SSF11195 (No record type): MIHLM 6 inch record map, Lady G Briscoe, 1960 & 1961 entries.
- <R1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL68NE11.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: site report, copy (S1), (S7) & (S9), coin list.
- <S1> SSF6882 (No record type): Glendining's Sale Catalogue of Mossop Colln, 1991, Lots 104-106.
- <S2> SSF11521 (No record type): Morley R, 1979.
- <M2> SSF42944 (No record type): G Briscoe archive:.
- <S3> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, cards (3), Lakenheath Joist Fen, 1960 & 1961.
- <S4> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Archaeol in Suff, 1960, PSIA, 28, 1960, (3), 293.
- <S5> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Archaeol in Suff, 1961, PSIA, 29, 1961, (1), 98.
- <S6> SSF1483 (No record type): Briscoe G,`Icenian coin finds in Lakenheath,Suff', PCAS, 56,1964, 123-4.
- <S7> SSF162 (No record type): Allen D F, `The Coins of the Iceni', Brittania 1, 1970, 1-33.
- <S8> SSF18146 (No record type): SAU (Plouviez J), site report, 1982.
- <S8> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <S9> SSF1491 (No record type): Briscoe Lady G, `BA pottey & flints from Joist Fen, Lakenheath, PCAS, 56, 1964, 1.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 4 2021 11:56AM