Monument record LKH 073 - Sandy Drove
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7271 8347 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||LAKENHEATH, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
`Deep ploughing disclosed a Romano-British kiln of burnt clay, 250 yards from kiln noted in 1957 (LKH 019). Pottery included grey sherds with external rilling (4th century), and a colour-coated flat bowl. Rough plates with grass and finger-markings, 10-12 inches diameter, may have been supports. Outside the kiln were many pieces of thin bronze sheets, probably a box. (Grace, Lady Briscoe)'(S1)(S2)(S3)(R1).
For other pottery kilns in Lakenheath, see LKH 001, 011, 019, 061,& 062.
- <R1> SSF11241 (No record type): MIHLM, 6 inch record map, Lady G Briscoe entry, undated.
- <S1> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Archaeol in Suff, 1961, PSIA, 29, 1961, (1), 98.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: map.
- <S2> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card Lakenheath Romano-British.
- <S3> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL78SW1f.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Nov 9 1988 12:00AM