Monument record BUN 007 - Town Ditch
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 332 900 (161m by 136m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BUNGAY, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Earthwork shown on OS 1:10560 map 1957 running from TM 3320 9000 to TM 3335 9012. Now destroyed (S1).
A deep ditch extended E and W to two bends in the river Waveney cutting off Outney Common from the town of Bungay and materially strengthening the N defences of the castle. It has been suggested that the ditch might be a Rom work, but there is no positive evidence of this, and it may have been dug by the Bigots (sic), who used the materials obtained to raise the huge barriers of earth around their castle (BUN 004). Bungay was granted to Roger Bigot soon after Domesday by the Conqueror (S2) (quoting (R1)).
An anonymous undated map in Bungay Museum, approximately 1:2500, reproduced in the Bungay Castle guide, shows this as "Tower Ditch" (see last paragraph) and traces it SE and SW to encircle the probable Med town line superimposed on 1: 10560. The topographical situation would support this classification (that is for the whole of the distance it is shown as running along the high crop above a flood plain) rather than Suckling's suggestion above. Modern development has now removed all evidence of the work. (Colquhoun F D, FI, 1 April 1968)(S2).
3 copies of Bungay Castle guide in parish file show map as "Town Ditch" rather than "Tower Ditch" as stated by (S2).
For town ditch also see BUN 018 & BUN 025.
1st (S3) & 2nd (S4) edition OS maps call it "Roman Remains" but 3rd (S5) ed., it is referred to as earthwork remains.
- <S1> SSF18037 (No record type): SAU (Martin E), 1983.
- <R1> SSF21714 (No record type): Suckling Reverend A, History and Antiquities of Suffolk, 1, 1846, 131.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: Bungay Castle guide.
- <M2> SSF38780 (No record type): APs: NAU TM 330 896/899/900, 1974; TM 332 900 1974; TM 334 902 1974.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM39SW11, 1968.
- <S3> SSF50026 Map: OS. OS Map. 1st edition OS map. C.1880..
- <S4> SSF50026 Map: OS. OS Map. 2nd edition OS map. C.1901.
- <S5> SSF50026 Map: OS. OS Map. 3 edition OS map. C.1911.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 31 2005 11:46AM