Monument record BUN 012 - Castle Hills, Bungay Castle
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 335 896 (84m by 150m)|
|Civil Parish||BUNGAY, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Castle Hills, earthworks to S of Bungay Castle. Appear on OS 1:10560 map, 1957.
Mighty ramparts of the Castle Hills dated circa AD 1163-1172 (S1). Outer bailey earthworks, which are known as "Castle Hills" remain (S2) (quoting (R1)).
Earthworks resurveyed at 1:2500 OS 1968-1978 (S2). For further details of the castle and references - see BUN 004.
1981: Fir trees still growing at N end. S arm is being rather badly eroded between the gorse clumps by bike scrambling and children sliding, this erosion obviously hastened by the recent heavy rain, especially on the gravel. Grass area between hills is now a playground. Corrugated iron buildings no longer exist. Visited site with Doctor Cane of Town Trust. The Trust does try to keep erosion to a minimum but it is difficult as this is a children's play area (S3).
1991: Said to be at risk. Deteriorating from over use. Desire use paths etc (S4).
1987 - Watching Brief in advance of construction of new dwelling. Site just inside ditch of inner bailey. 70cm of modern topsoil then bank/bailey deposits of mid brown sand and gravel with no finds. S5
1958 - Brief guide to Bungay Castle with drawings (S6)
- <S1> SSF1445 (No record type): Braun H, PSIA, 22, 1934, (1), 110.
- <M1> SSF42288 (No record type): APs: NAU TM 330 896 1974, TM 335 895 1974; SAU ADD 15 5/7/1976.
- <R1> SSF5122 (No record type): Dickinson P G M, Little guide to Suffolk, sixth edition, 1957, 91-93.
- <M2> SSF42289 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM38NW15, 1968.
- <S3> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <S4> SSF21763 Unpublished document: Suffolk Preservation Society. 1991. Suffolk Preservation Society Survey. Suff Pres Soc Survey, 1991.
- <S5> SSF50006 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Site Report. Newman, J., SCCAS. 15/06/1987.
- <S6> SSF50094 Bibliographic reference: Miscellaneous Bibliographic reference. Cane, H., Bungay Castle Guide, 1958.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (6)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Corbishley M J) (Ref: DOE (Corbishley M J)) (ESF13779)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Paterson H( (Ref: DOE (Paterson H() (ESF13501)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by OS FDC (FI) (Ref: OS FDC (FI)) (ESF12748)
- Event - Survey: Survey by OS 1:10560 (Ref: OS 1:10560) (ESF14411)
- Event - Survey: Survey by OS 1:2500 (Ref: OS 1:2500) (ESF14704)
- Event - Survey: Watching brief - erection of new dwelling (Ref: ) (ESF19066)
Record last edited
Nov 19 2012 3:49PM