Monument record BRD 039 - Rectilinear field system of unknown date, visible as cropmarks.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 750 859 (2417m by 1599m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BRANDON, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (16)
- FIELD SYSTEM (Unknown date)
- HOLLOW WAY? (Unknown date)
- HOLLOW WAY? (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- BOUNDARY DITCH (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- BOUNDARY DITCH (Unknown date)
- TRACKWAY (Unknown date)
- TRACKWAY (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- DITCH (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- DITCH (Unknown date)
- FIELD BOUNDARY (Unknown date)
- FIELD BOUNDARY (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- PLATFORM? (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- PLATFORM? (Unknown date)
- BUILDING PLATFORM? (Unknown date)
- BUILDING PLATFORM? (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FIELD SYSTEM (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
Cropmarks of large rectilinear field system identified on USAF AP shown to (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) (S1). Map plotting approximate only. Field pattern follows contours and bears no correspondence with modern one. Possible relation to cropmarks in BRD 7 & BRD 10
1946 APs show some field system cropmarks only on fields centred TL 743 856 (photo taken in summer when crop growth inhibits visibility)(S2).
March 2017. 'Brecks from Above' and Breckland National Mapping Programme.
The main area of soilmarks and cropmarks of the previously recorded field system and trackway are visible on aerial photographs (S3-S6), but were not mapped due to them falling largely outside of the project area. The date of the fields and trackway are not certain, although it is possible that they relate to the substantial Roman site to the northwest (BRD 007-008). Only a small proportion of the site was included within the project area and only the aerial photographs relating to this eastern area were assessed.
The features within the eastern part of the site were less well defined than those to the west and appeared to represent either a pair of hollow ways or routeways – the remains of which may have been quite spread by the plough. The extremely wide hollow-like features have been mapped by an ‘extent of area’. It is worth noting that it is possible that these large-scale features may actually relate to natural gullies running down to the valley floor. They have been mapped as potential archaeological features due to the apparent relationship with the broad field boundaries to the west. Several other broad soilmarks were omitted due to uncertainty over the archaeological origin.
Also identified were some fragmentary ditch and trackways sections, some of which follow broadly the same alignment as the field system previously recorded to the west. Three possible sub-rectangular platforms or compacted surfaces were tentatively identified, although these may relate to non-archaeological features.
Some other possible linear and rectilinear soil and cropmarks were omitted from the mapping, due to some uncertainty over their origin. So it must be borne in mind that other archaeological features exist in addition to those mapped.
S. Horlock (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 19th March 2017.
- <S1> SSF22308 (No record type): USAF, AP, SRA SLO 11R, 24 Oct 1975, Review 2008, October 1975.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: copy (S1).
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file.
- <S2> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF, 106G/UK/1557, frame 4016, 1946.
- <S3> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/CPE/UK/1952 FS 2202-2203 25-MAR-1947 (HEA Original Print) Original Print).
- <S4> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. OS/71216 V 062-063 14-MAY-1971 (HEA Original Print).
- <S5> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. OS/71216 V 083-084 14-MAY-1971 (HEA Original Print).
- <S6> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. EARTH.GOOGLE.COM 19-MAR-2003 ACCESSED 18-SEP-2016 (Digital).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 4 2019 11:56AM